Call for Applications: Asian Graduate Student Fellowship 2023
Applications are open for the Asian Graduate Student Fellowship 2023. The Asia Research Institute (ARI) of the National University of Singapore (NUS) invites applications from citizens of Asian countries currently...
Deadline: December 14, 2022
Applications are open for the Asian Graduate Student Fellowship 2023. The Asia Research Institute (ARI) of the National University of Singapore (NUS) invites applications from citizens of Asian countries currently enrolled in a PhD programme in the humanities or social sciences at a university in an Asian country (except Singapore), as well as junior scholars who graduated from a PhD programme within two years from the date of PhD conferral, for the award of the Asian Graduate Student Fellowship (AGSF).
This opportunity will allow the recipients to connect with NUS in a hybrid format, including a virtual fellowship for a period of five weeks, and an in-person fellowship during the Singapore Graduate Forum for a period of five days. Selected participants in the AGSF will also undergo an intensive six-week programme of independent research, training in academic writing, mentorship meetings, skills-based training sessions and an opportunity for an academic conference presentation.
Successful candidates can expect the following benefits:
- Access to library and computer resources in NUS. You can look forward to excellent library access to e-resources at NUS’ main library, that has 2 million volumes covering all topics.
- An appointed mentor/advisor on your research topic
- Automatic inclusion in an intensive English academic writing workshop
- Exposure to seminars by various experts in the field
- An opportunity to present your research paper at the Singapore Graduate Forum on Southeast Asian Studies to an audience of young international scholars and senior Southeast Asia specialists
- Accommodation in NUS for six nights for the Singapore Graduate forum (19-23 June 2023)
Participants will take part in an intensive course on English academic writing, to be held online during the first three weeks of the fellowship. This programme is specifically intended for students who want to improve their academic English because they either come from non-English speaking backgrounds or are looking for advanced strategies to make academic communication more effective.
- Open to junior scholars in the humanities and social sciences undertaking research focused on Southeast Asia, a region defined for inclusion in this programme as ASEAN member countries plus East Timor.
Requirements & Expectations
- Successful candidates for the fellowship are expected to submit a draft of their papers by April 26, 2023. This paper will be shared with his/her assigned mentor in preparation for his/her interactions with her/him. Subsequently, they are required to send in a full-length paper (4,000-5,000 words) by May 31, 2023, and make a presentation on their work at the 18th Singapore Graduate Forum on Southeast Asian Studies on June 19-23, 2023.
- Note that the paper must be based on your own work, and only previously unpublished papers or those not already presented elsewhere can be accepted.
Candidates are to submit their applications using the online form by December 14, 2022. Successful applicants will be notified by mid January 2023.
For more information, visit Asian Graduate Student Fellowship.
What's Your Reaction?