Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA) Science by Women Programme 2023
Applications are open for the Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA) Science by Women Programme 2023. The Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA), in line with its mission of contributing to the...
Deadline: September 30, 2023
Applications are open for the Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA) Science by Women Programme 2023. The Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA), in line with its mission of contributing to the development of Africa through the drive of its women, is launching the 9th Edition of Science by Women programme, with the aim to promote African women’s leadership in scientific research and technology transfer and to foster the capacity of the research centres in their home countries.
The main goal is to enable African women researchers and scientists to tackle the great challenges faced by Africa through research in health and biomedicine, sustainable agriculture and food security, water, energy and climate change.
Women’s lives are significantly affected by the repercussions of uncontrolled development; however, social, structural and economic barriers limit their capacity to tackle the great challenges faced by the continent. The gender disparities in science and technology in both the public and private spheres affect Africa’s population as a whole. Narrowing this gap, which has severe consequences on the balanced and sustainable development of African countries, is vital to achieve long-term progress and equal growing.
The programme’s ultimate goal is to enable African women researchers to play a leading role in the transition of Africa to a knowledge-based and innovation-led economy through research that can be transferred into products, processes, services and technologies having impact on people’s lives. To achieve this ambitious goal, FMxA collaborates with the Spanish Centres of Excellence, whose prestige is unanimously recognized throughout Spain and internationally, thereby ensuring excellence in scientific research in various fields.
Successful candidates will have access to the following benefits:
- Return flight from their centre of origin to the host institution.
- Living allowance of €2,400 Euros (before 24% taxes) per month to cover accommodation, personal expenses and health and occupational accident insurance coverage.
- Applicant must be a woman;
- Having the nationality of an African country;
- Holding a PhD. Post-doctoral experience is preferred;
- Current contractual relationship with a university or a public or private non-profit organization based in Africa dedicated to significant scientific research in the areas indicated above;
- Excellent academic record and proven track of relevant research experience;
- Solid working knowledge of English.
Applications will be subjected to a highly competitive selection process by the Women for Africa Foundation’s Scientific Committee. The jury will evaluate the following criteria:
- The candidate’s research career, curriculum vitae and experience as independent research group leader.
- The project’s scientific-technical quality and innovative potential.
- The expected and measurable economic or social impact of the research project.
- The candidate’s plan to communicate and disseminate the project’s results.
- The proper consideration of ethical issues where appropriate.
The deadline for applications is September 30, 2023. Only applications submitted in English via the Science by Women microsite will be accepted.
Candidates must submit the following documents:
- Letter of Interest (max. 1 page)
- Full curriculum vitae (Europass format is recommended)
- Fully filled form
- Brief but concise description of the project to be developed in the Spanish host centre (max. 2 pages).
Research proposals should fall within the main research strands of the chosen centre, as specified in section 6 of the Rules & Guidelines document.
For more information, visit Science by Women.
What's Your Reaction?