Reporters Without Borders Berlin Scholarship Program 2023: Empowering Journalists in the Digital Field (Fully Funded to Berlin, Germany)
Reporters Without Borders Germany is calling for applications for its Berlin Scholarship Program: Empowering Journalists in the Digital Field. From April 2023 until November 2023, ten journalists from crisis areas...
Application Deadline: December 5th 2022 at 23:59 (Central European Time).
Reporters Without Borders Germany is calling for applications for its Berlin Scholarship Program: Empowering Journalists in the Digital Field. From April 2023 until November 2023, ten journalists from crisis areas will be invited to Berlin for a period of four months each.
Reporters Without Borders Germany offers journalists from war zones and crisis areas the opportunity to take a break in Berlin for four months and complete a training program in digital security.
It aims to provide participants with practical knowledge and skills to protect themselves against digital threats such as surveillance or hacker attacks in their journalistic activities. In a second phase, with the support of the trainer team, the participants prepare their own training concept, through which they can pass on their newly acquired knowledge to colleagues in their home countries as trainers. In this way, journalists outside the scholarship program can also benefit from the digital security skills taught in the program.
The program is funded by the Berlin Senate Department for Economics, Energy and Public Enterprises.
Professional journalists, bloggers, media professionals and citizen journalists who
- are exposed to digital threats due to their work in their home regions.
- want to learn and work extensively with digital security in order to improve their personal security.
- are interested in passing on the knowledge acquired during the scholarship program to colleagues in their home regions and, ideally, already have some experience in teaching or other areas of knowledge transfer.
- are able and willing to fully participate in the program. We expect the applicants to be available for all activities of our program including the comprehensive training for digital security. Please plan with about 20 to 25 hours per week from the second until the fourth month of your stay in Berlin.
- Applicants must have a very strong command of the English language, as the whole scholarship program will be conducted entirely in English.
- Applicants must have adequate experience working as a journalist, be it as a professional journalist or a citizen journalist.
- A high level of proficiency in regards to digital security is not required; anyone who is used to working with a computer and smart phone can apply.
- Are able and willing to fully participate in all activites of the program (see above: Who can apply)
- In addition, applicants must show that they are willing to return to their home region after the fellowship in Germany.
- Previous teaching experience would be desirable.
- Reporters Without Borders will cover the travel costs, take care of all visa-related matters, provide and pay for an apartment in Berlin for the duration of the scholarship, grant a monthly allowance of 900€/month, free use of public transportation in Berlin and an extensive training program with qualified experts in the field of digital security.
- Furthermore, during their stay in Berlin, scholarship holders will be given insights into the activities of Reporters Without Borders Germany, a globally-active journalist and human rights organization.
How to Apply:
Please send a completed and signed application form, the completed questionnaire, your CV and a proof of identity (copy of your ID or your passport) as attachments in separate PDF documents (4 PDFs in total) via the Signal messenger service to 491636743853, or if you have a ProtonMail account to rsf.digitalfreedom[at]protonmail.com.
The application form and the questionnaire are fillable PDF files. Please fill in these files on a computer and send them to us in this form. Follow these instructions to ensure that we can read all your texts:
1. Save the two PDF files
2. Fill in the two files on your computer
3. Save the completed files again
4. Send the completed files to us
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Reporters Without Borders Berlin Scholarship Program 2023
What's Your Reaction?