SCAR/WMO Fellowships 2023 For Climate Researchers From Developing Countries
The Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR) initiated the SCAR Fellowship Programme in 2002. The aim was to encourage the active involvement of early-career researchers in Antarctic scientific research and...
Application Deadline: 31 July, 2023
The Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR) initiated the SCAR Fellowship Programme in 2002. The aim was to encourage the active involvement of early-career researchers in Antarctic scientific research and to build new connections and further strengthen international capacity and cooperation in Antarctic research. Since the initiation of the programme, more than 80 SCAR Fellowships have been awarded.
The SCAR Fellowship Programme is designed to encourage the active involvement of early-career researchers in furthering our understanding of Antarctica. The Fellowships enable early-career researchers to join a project team from another country, opening up new opportunities and often creating partnerships that last many years and over many Antarctic research seasons.
Some flexibility was introduced during the pandemic and this will continue. Applicants are able to propose partly or entirely remote Fellowships and, where issues later develop around travel or planned activities, we will work with awardees to enable their fellowships to go ahead.
SCAR fellowships are open to researchers within 5 years of finishing their PhD in Antarctic and Southern Ocean-related disciplines
- The SCAR Fellowship Programme is for PhD students, or those within five years of having completed a PhD, to undertake research at major international laboratories, field facilities, and/or institutes in or operated by SCAR member countries with the goal of exposing them to recent advances in research and to develop long-term scientific links and partnerships.
- The work must be carried out in a research group of a SCAR member country different from that of the applicant’s origin and current residence.
- 4-5 awards for 2023
- Up to USD $15,000 per award;
- Home institute to bear in-home country costs (e.g. visa costs, domestic travel);
- Host institute to waive bench fees, if any.
How to Apply
The application form and advice on applying can be found in the How to Apply section.
Applicants may find the 2016 SCAR-COMNAP-APECS webinar on preparing Fellowship applications useful. A second webinar on the same theme was conducted in Spanish in 2017. In 2021, SCAR Fellowship webinars were held for Portuguese speakers and German speakers. You may also find the answers to any questions on the FAQs page.
For More Information:
What's Your Reaction?