STIAS Fellowship Program 2025 for independent Researchers
STIAS provides and maintains an independent ‘creative space for the mind’ to advance the cause of science and scholarship across all disciplines. It is global in its reach and local...
Application Deadline: 31 October 2023
STIAS provides and maintains an independent ‘creative space for the mind’ to advance the cause of science and scholarship across all disciplines. It is global in its reach and local in its African roots, and values original thinking and innovation in this context. No restriction is placed on the country of origin, discipline, or academic affiliation when STIAS considers a fellowship invitation. It encourages the cross-pollination of ideas and hence gives preference to projects that will tap into, and benefit from, a multi-disciplinary discourse while also contributing unique perspectives to such a discourse. This interaction is fostered by inviting individual fellows or project teams where each team member is evaluated individually.
The STIAS terms run from mid-January to mid-June (first semester), and from mid-July to mid-December (second semester). During recess periods STIAS cannot offer standard fellowship support, although it may be possible to make ad hoc accommodation arrangements.
Applications and suggestions for fellowships of one academic semester, (approximately mid-January to mid-June; or mid-July to mid-December) may be submitted in writing or via e-mail at any time in advance of announced deadlines. Selection is generally concluded 12 months in advance of the proposed period of residence. In well-motivated cases STIAS will, at the Director’s discretion, consider applications for either a shorter period of residency (with a minimum of six weeks) or a period longer than one semester (with a maximum of two full semesters).
- STIAS welcomes fellowship applications on a semester deadline basis.
- Applications for the first semester of 2025 (mid-January to mid-June) may be submitted before 31 October 2023 with the results of the cohort selection available in March 2023.
- Applications for the second semester of 2025 (mid-June to mid-December) may be submitted before 30 April 2024. The results of the cohort selection will be available in September 2023.
- As indicated above, STIAS fellows who have been in residence previously are welcome to submit new applications, bearing in mind that during a five-year cycle preference is given to first-time applicants.
Along with a covering letter, applications should include:
- A comprehensive Curriculum Vitae.
- A list of publications (may be included in the CV).
- One or two recent articles typical of the applicant’s research work, or related to the proposed project.
- A project title and description (2-4 pages) of the planned work and expected outcomes.
- A brief summary/ introductory text (maximum 200 words) of the proposed project accessible to readers from outside the candidate’s specific discipline. This will be posted on the STIAS website (see project summaries for examples).
- A clear indication of the length of fellowship being applied for, together with preferred and alternative dates of residence at STIAS.
- A brief indication of how the applicant became aware of the STIAS programme.
For More Information:
What's Your Reaction?