The Heinrich Böll Foundation 9th MENA Regional Summer School 2023 for Young Professionals (Fully Funded to Jordan)
The Heinrich Böll Foundation, represented through its offices in Rabat, Tunis, Ramallah and Beirut, welcomes applicants from the MENA region to apply for the 9th Regional Summer School that will...
Application Deadline: 7 May 2023.
The Heinrich Böll Foundation, represented through its offices in Rabat, Tunis, Ramallah and Beirut, welcomes applicants from the MENA region to apply for the 9th Regional Summer School that will take place from 29 July to 05 August 2023 in Jordan, under the title “It’s More than Just Food: Agroecology and Sustainable Agriculture towards Equitable and Justice-based Food Systems in the MENA Region”. The School aims to provide young professionals from civil society, youth and community initiatives, activists and researchers a space to exchange, debate and learn about the multiple dimensions of food systems, the water-energy-food nexus and community-supported sustainable agricultural practices towards food sovereignty. Through inputs, group work sessions and field trips, participants will learn about the different perspectives regarding achievements, progress, constraints and shortcomings of food systems in the MENA region.
he Regional Summer School will bring together 25 young professionals from civil society, academia and private sector from different countries of the MENA region in order to a) strengthen their capacities to engage in sustainable approaches and solutions for food system management, b) promote regional networking and allow for an exchange of experiences, and c) facilitate interdisciplinary learning experiences between stakeholders from different sectors and countries.
The School offers an inclusive space where young professionals from different backgrounds can exchange and debate about food systems and its implications on humans and society. Food production will be the lens through which social and political patterns and dynamics in the MENA region will be analyzed. Believing that citizens are important drivers for change and the promotion of alternative models, a special focus will be given to community-supported initiatives, environmentally-friendly innovative solutions, cooperatives and environmental activist groups in order to lead and facilitate socio-economic and ecological transformations.
- The Heinrich Böll Foundation are looking for engaged and motivated candidates from civil society, academia and activist groups working on different kinds of actions related to agriculture and food system management aiming for behavioral, social or political change. Eligible candidates should be between the ages of 23-38 and reside in one of the following MENA countries: Jordan, Palestine, Lebanon, Tunisia, Morocco, Libya, Egypt, Algeria, Iraq and Syria.
The Summer School will be conducted in Arabic and English with simultaneous translation. Good command of the English language is important since preparation materials will be circulated beforehand, a large part of which will consist of English literature. The participants are therefore asked to indicate their English level in the application form. Selected participants may be asked to prepare a short presentation on issues related to food systems and agriculture in their country or community and on how their projects and/or research addresses these issues and challenges.
- Travel, accommodation and board costs of the participants will be covered by the Heinrich Böll Foundation.
In order to be considered for the Regional Summer School 2023, please submit the following documents:
- A filled out Application Form;
- An up-to-date Curriculum Vita (CV);
- A Short Paper (2 pages maximum) focusing on a topic related to the overall theme of the Summer School and show the applicant’s knowledge/expertise in this field as well as his/her ability to work independently and creatively. To this end, the applicant should choose a topic from within the subject area and point out its relevance to his/her respective local or national context, e.g. by introducing an exemplary project, a current debate, etc. The paper can be written in the form of an essay or a short academic paper. Accepted languages are English and Arabic.
Applicants from Morocco are asked to submit their application documents in English, Arabic, or French to:
Heinrich Böll Foundation – Rabat, Ms. Fatima-Zohra Lamrani (FatimaZohra.Lamrani@ma.boell.org)
Applicants from Tunisia and Egypt are asked to submit their application documents in English, Arabic, or French to:
Heinrich Böll Foundation – Tunis, Ms. Emna Fourati (Emna.Fourati@tn.boell.org)
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the 9th MENA Regional Summer School 2023
What's Your Reaction?