UNISA has multiple vacancies for Online Tutors (e-Tutors)
UNISA has multiple vacancies for Online Tutors (e-Tutors) in various faculties and departments, andis hereby inviting applications. UNISA is the publicly funded institution in South Africa dedicated to open and...
UNISA has multiple vacancies for Online Tutors (e-Tutors) in various faculties and departments, andis hereby inviting applications.
UNISA is the publicly funded institution in South Africa dedicated to open and distance education.
In keeping with its mandate as a comprehensive, open and distance e-learning tertiary institution offering
a variety of academic and career-focused programmes, the University is inviting applicants for services
as Online Tutors (E-tutors) on an independent contract basis.
- Experience with teaching in an ODeL environment.
- Qualifications as per specific requirements are determined by the College on the Unisa website.
E-Tutors will have the following duties:
• To deliver the content and the Pedagogy of the Subject.
• Provide students with online academic and technical support.
• Facilitate online delivery of tutorials.
• Manage students’ online learning experiences.
• Facilitate students’ online interactions with their peers.
To be considered as an E-tutor, you must meet the following requirements:
• Not be a Unisa Fixed Term or Permanent staff member.
• Ongoing access to an Internet connection at your own cost.
• Own copies of software packages that may be required for teaching e.g. Internet browsers, word
• Only applicants with the relevant qualifications will be considered.
• Please do not apply If you are currently appointed as a Unisa e-tutor or Teaching Assistant.
• Advanced computer and Internet skills i.e. no training will be provided in using software packages,
Internet sites or emails.
• Advanced communication skills and proficiency in English (students communication will mostly be
text based via my Unisa and discussion forums).
• Commitment to meeting deadlines and a passion for student-centred learning.
• Friendly, patient and sensitive to a diversity of students.
As an Independent Contractor you will:
• Not be regarded as an employee of Unisa.
• Not be entitled to any benefits such as medical aid, office space, equipment, leave (including sick
leave), in terms of the UNISA conditions of service.
• Be expected to provide your own infrastructure i.e. your own computer, your own Internet access,
workspace and any other office-related equipment.
• Work in your own time in completing online teaching tasks to a total of five days in a week (a minimum of an hour per day) (excluding marking).
To apply, you need to do the following:
1) Complete the form below (see the last page)
2) Attach scanned certified copies of the following documents:
o certified copy (within the previous three months) of highest educational qualification.
o certified copy (within the previous three months) of academic transcript.
o certified copy (within the previous three months) of your identity document/passport.
o certified copy (within the previous three months) of your valid permit (foreign
o certified copy (within the previous three months) of SAQA verification of foreign
qualifications (if applicable)
3) Comprehensive curriculum vitae.
4) NB;The required documents should be submitted as a single file (one attachment) to the
5) NB: Merge and name attached .
Gross Remuneration: R8 043.75
Closing Date: 03 January 2023 (Application must be emailed before the close of business at 16:00)
General Enquiries: Mr MD Tjikana: Tel: (012) 481 2913
Applications should be emailed to:
• Finance, Risk Management and Banking: FRMB.CEMSETUTORS@unisa.ac.za
• Economics: ECS.CEMSETUTORS@unisa.ac.za
• Decision Sciences: DCS.CEMSETUTORS@unisa.ac.za
Assumption of duty: The shortlisted candidates will have to undergo a tutor development programme.
Completion of the prescribed training on various aspects of tutoring is compulsory.
Appointments will only be finalised and activated after the successful completion of online training.
UNISA reserves the right to authenticate all qualifications without any further consent from the applicant.
Late, incomplete, and incorrect applications will not be considered.